09 January 2007

heading home

I spent nearly 20 hours in transit to get home, including a 2.5 hour bus ride to London Heathrow, where Heather and I said goodbye (she's now staying in England to study abroad for the next five months), waiting several hours for my flight, taking the 8 hour flight, getting caught at customs in the US because I’d spent time on a farm, meeting my parents, and driving to Newark and then home. Customs took forever because they had to take my shoes away for inspection upon reading my immigration card, which I was all too honest on-- not only did I declare that I had spent time on a farm, but I also admitted it was a dairy and beef farm. Something something mad cow something? I finally was released from the grand inquisition and found out the following upon seeing my parents:
1. They are now married.
2. They lost the photocopy of my passport in Newark.
This is hilarious because:
1. They got married over 24 years ago.
2. We were concerned I would have to forfeit my passport.
This was resolved by:
1. They did get married, and had the permit for their marriage license, but apparently had never gotten the license and didn’t notice the difference until recently. They picked it up on their way to the airport though. Better late than never.
2. We drove back to Newark and somehow, by luck and great surprise, we found the paper across the street from where my parents initially dropped it.
And now I’m home, and sucking at getting used to the time zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment