31 October 2010

Happy Halloween!


my first costume since I was in elementary school...

And just to take the geographic nerdiness up a notch-- I downloaded the theme song and listened carefully to the words to see if they used any outdated names for the places that Carmen Sandiego goes. The show was on early to mid nineties, so I didn't think it would affect it too much. However, I got the warm fuzzies when I realized that it totally goes against that perpetual myth that African countries change their names all the time. That comes from the people whose geographic education was limited to perhaps grammar school during the few decades when those countries were becoming independent from their colonial rulers, methinks. Anyway, the only antiquated name? Czechoslovakia!

No comments:

Post a Comment