05 March 2012

This morning I drove the guest director from yesterday's bell festival to Philadelphia airport. I had a few hours before work and our director, who organizes the festival, really needed someone to drive. I like driving. It worked out well.

I've driven out Route 70 through the Pine Barrens many, many times but tend to pick out different things to focus on each time. Today I was kind of contemplating the back roads that I never take, and what they're like.

On the way out to the airport, I passed a terrible wreck around 11:15 and probably ten emergency vehicles. A pickup was wrapped around a tree on the eastbound side, facing westbound. It was clear to me that the driver could not have survived. I have no idea how the truck went off the road like that in the middle of a clear, dry day.

The mess was still there when I was coming back from the airport two hours later. Traffic was being diverted onto one of those very side roads I was curious about. It was a single lane road that went by a few simple houses. A man was out for a run and probably wondering where all of these cars were coming from. It was interesting to get off Route 70 for a few minutes, but unfortunately a very sad reminder that despite my cold, despite my aches from the weekend, despite how tired I was and didn't feel like going to work later-- my day was most definitely not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment