14 January 2011

anything but sedentary

Last night was the first night I slept in my own bed in 2011.

The rest of my time in Virginia was great-- the Doyle wedding was super lovely, it was awesome to spend some time with some amazing people, and I got to see some parts of Virginia I'd never seen before. After the wedding, Taylor and I returned to Vienna via Appomattox Courthouse, Lynchburg (to celebrate his brother's birthday), the Blue Ridge Parkway and Charlottesville, which also included stopping in this other town:


It seems a little silly that no one ever shared this town's existence with me before.

Taylor made me this map to show me the amoeba-shaped loop we took through the state. After returning to NJ and making a few more side trips this week as I started working at camp, I wondered, what would my own since-New Year's map look like? Google actually only allows 25 stops on a given map, so I had to do two: Virginia, New Jersey, which totaled about 1375 miles in the first 13 days of the new year, not including any other side trips or errands, which I made quite a few of. Now, not all of these happened in my own car, but probably about 700 of those miles did.

After looking at maps and realizing how much driving I've done so far, or even how much riding in cars I've done total, I thought it might be interesting to track my mileage for the year... but then I realized that would be absolutely ridiculous. Hello! Have you read this blog?! I do not sit still. My toothbrush is safely tucked in my red toiletries bag and ready to go at all times. However, I think I will keep track of how far my car goes, because that's way easier. Starting mileage for 2011: about 148,500. Current mileage: 149202, which means I've more than broken 60,000 miles on this car since I bought it in May 2007. Remember when I'd reached 50,000? That's right. July. Ten thousand miles in six months.

Things are going well at camp so far. I attended a Presbytery meeting with Kurt and Lorelei on my first day and have been organizing things in preparation to visit other churches and groups around the state to advocate camp. It snowed the night I arrived so I stayed at Harry and Ann's house rather than needing to be dug out of Lakeside first thing the following morning. It was a peaceful few days up there. Warren County knows how to clear roads (ahem, Monmouth, you should study) but everything else was otherwise blanketed in beautiful, clean snow and framed in icicles.

I'll be moving back into Lakeside next week!

It's been a busy couple of weeks of 2011 so far, but I'm pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment