07 November 2012

Guardianing (Guardianship 101)

Saturday, day one: The 11 year old is still alive. Also, I already verbed "guardian". Success. (All right, she's about 1000% better than alive. We had excellent adventures, got some fresh air, ate some candy and a good dinner with friends by a wonderful fire, and had some good conversation in the car. She is now reading herself into a coma after brushing her teeth.) Spent the day at camp to offer some food and love and candy to our friends who are still without power. I did a soil science lab with two other kids in tow. It was good.

Sunday, day two: A relaxing day that involved a trip to Toys R Us to spend a birthday giftcard, and a lot of being lazy and hanging out. I got so much work done for school!

Monday, day three: Camp remains without power, so my backup (Ann and Lorelei) are still not really options, since we would freeze in our sleep and/or my leg would fall off (it has been 27 degrees up there at night-- they are incredible, strong people). Today, we drove from Cinnaminson to William Paterson, where at least she got to hang out with her brother for most of the day, and then to Mendham, where the amazing Hellriegel family welcomed us for trick or treating, dinner and sleeping over. Tomorrow we have to drive a long time again, because I cannot live with myself if I don't vote.

I stole a piece of her Halloween candy after she went to bed, because I assume that's one of my responsibilities as the parent figure, even if it's just a temporary arrangement.

Tuesday, day four: We drove. I voted. We hung out at my house all day with the zillions of dogs, cats and family members who are currently staying warm there. Sara became fast friends with my Uncle Don, teaming up to tell me how weird I am. We played the game of Life. We watched TV. We ate spaghetti. We drove to Harrison to stay with my superhero cousin and his super awesome fiancee (thank you thank you THANK YOU again for bailing us out of having to make the full commute this morning).

Wednesday, day five: So far, so good. Everyone's still alive, and she's not even totally sick to death of my company yet. We drove to school, where she hung out with her brother in the morning while I taught and met with students. 

On the way to school, I proved that I have what it takes to be a good guardian. I put the child before myself, and hid my pain. "Don't Stop Believing" came on the radio, and we listened to the whole thing. And I didn't turn it down or off. Major sacrifice.

After I was done for the day, we drove through the snow and the wind to arrive safely and warmly three hours later back in Cinnaminson. The rest of the week should be way more relaxed-- camp is still, very sadly, without power. I hope my friends there are staying warm and safe, especially as this new storm blows in. We are doing a good job of surviving the week, except for the shin splints I got while leaving the Paterson area (first gear second gear first gear second gear first gear second gear third gear first gear...)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates. They were fun to read. We need your mailing address unless you want to stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete