22 April 2014

Happy (Earth Day)

Happy Earth Day! Today also sort of marks a few other things:
  • Three years ago, I successfully defended my Masters thesis. (Earth Day was Good Friday in 2011.)
  • Two Good Fridays ago in 2012, I had my first day volunteering with NRCS, which has been one of the most awesome and formative parts of my journey in vocational discernment.
  • Today leaves 100 days left in New Orleans.
My, it's been a busy few years.


I'm not really sure what to say. It hasn't been easy. Not over the course of the past six years since finishing college and not finding full time work, not in the past three since finishing grad school and still not finding full time work, not this past year volunteering my service. Living in community is hard. Knowing I can't fix the coast is hard. Planning a wedding is hard (mostly, being apart from the groom is hard). Being far from my family and friends and home is hard.

To celebrate my final 100 days serving in South Louisiana, I'm jumping on the 100 Happy Days bandwagon. I'm not much of one for bandwagons but I love being happy. I tend to be a pretty optimistic person (how many times have you heard me sincerely say "best day ever"?) and I love noticing the little things that make this world a wonderful place. Despite the challenges of my job, my community, my geography, my future, I'd really like to stay focused on the many, many beautiful things I get to see and be part of each day.

To celebrate Earth Day, I've decided to take a day trip to the beach in Mississippi somewhere. I'll decide where when I find it.

To celebrate life in general, I will keep you updated on my 100 days of happy, and encourage you to be intentional about your own happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment