18 July 2014

YAV year/life lesson 1 of ∞

I have averaged communion 2-3 times per week for the past month and a half or so, between Sunday mornings, various church meetings, and leading worship for a local summer mission program. This week, for example: Bayou Blue on Sunday morning, YAV closing worship last night, Project Homecoming closing worship tonight.

One of my favorite parts of communion in the Presbyterian Church is when the person serving it announces that "This is not a Presbyterian table. All are welcome." Actually, on Sunday morning, that was said both during announcements and during communion, which is what got me thinking about it.

I really like that.

I only have about a dozen days left of being a YAV in South Louisiana. This year has been a great opportunity for really getting involved with local churches, with a Presbytery, and with PC(USA). I am going to take about a thousand million billion infinity lessons from this year, but in the midst of this very difficult week I am very focused on this not-Presbyterian-table.

All are welcome at my table. Presbyterians, Catholics, Episcopals, Mennonites, Quakers, Muslims, Jews, athiests, Hindus, those who practice traditional religions, those who believe in everything, those who believe in nothing, and everyone in between. Everyone is welcome at my table. Palestinians and Israelis. Russians and Ukrainians. Children who arrive to the US border unaccompanied, and their parents and guardians.

Peacemaking has become an important theme in my work, brought out especially by working with the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship at General Assembly. As an environmentalist, I know that if we don't take care of our natural resources, there's going to be a lot less peace in the future. So far beyond that very basic premise though, I've been reading and learning and thinking about issues of peace around the world. All of these people who are so different from me, not just in appearance and location but circumstances and background and foreground.

It is fitting that such a difficult week end with the birthday of the late Nelson Mandela, who inspires so many people to work for peace. "Let freedom reign. The sun never set on so glorious a human achievement." he said. "Courageous people do not fear forgiving, for the sake of peace." he said. "It always seems impossible until it is done." he said.

I am not always a perfect peacemaker. (Neither was Nelson Mandela, truthfully.) I'm sure my brothers would agree with that. I'm sure my partner would agree with that. I'm sure my seven housemates in New Orleans would agree with that. This is one of the important lessons I am taking from this year though, this idea to constantly and intentionally work for peace. I won't always get it right, but to start, I will focus on this idea that everyone is welcome at my table.

Peace, salaam, shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment