31 August 2010

sending my love from the warm heart of Africa

My time in Malawi is almost done, and it has been a really amazing adventure. I am worried that when talking about this trip, I won't really know where to begin.

I have seen many smart, hardworking people who would be very successful had they been born somewhere else in the world.

I have witnessed several wells in various stages of completion-- freshly dug, nearly completed, being dedicated.

I have tried many different traditional foods. I love cabbage so so much.

I have learned a bit of Chichewa.

I have carried a bucket of water on my head (of which there is no photographic evidence).

I have sang and danced (of which there is also no photographic evidence, intentionally).

I have made bricks from mud that will be used to build a primary school.

I have been presented with a rooster (so I wouldn't be hungry on my long journey home).

I have negotiated prices at the market.

I have learned about many different tree species.

I have discussed agriculture and climate change and conservation efforts.

I have been a part of something really wonderful here in Malawi.



PS: I can't wait to show you all the pictures of the elephant I was ten feet away from on my safari trip!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear more upon your return, girl. Miss and love you.

    ReplyDelete