01 August 2010

the other other big regional airport...

I can now say I've driven to all of the major regional airports!

You've recently heard about my adventure to JFK. I've also written about Philadelphia and plenty about Newark. Well, this week I was asked to pick up some people from LaGuardia! Camp's previous program director was flying in from the midwest with his sons to spend a week with us at Johnsonburg. I was happy to make the trip because
1. I never mind going for a drive,
2. I enjoyed working with Brian a number of years ago and was looking forward to catching up,
3. I wasn't planning on doing anything else last night besides eventually sleeping
4. Now I can say I've driven to all of the major airports in the area!

The debacle that ensued is probably entirely my fault; as I was leaving around 3PM, I grabbed a book at the last minute, just in case they were running later than the expected 5PM landing. Plus, it should only take an hour and a half to get there... ha ha. I'm not sure who was having more fun until I arrived at the terminal at 6.30, Brian and his two boys at LaGuardia, or me stuck on the interstate. Oh man. But, as soon as I got past the toll plaza on the George Washington Bridge, it was smooth sailing and really lovely views down Harlem River Drive and across the Triboro Bridge, and a very easy drive back to camp with a stop at a diner on the way (because his sons needed to experience New Jersey properly).


What I enjoyed most about the drive back was probably listening to Brian pointing out various things about New Jersey to his sons. I'm usually the NJ tour guide, so it amused me to hear what someone else would notice and remember. Brian grew up at Johnsonburg and worked there for many years, so had a lot of great anecdotes to share about camp is well. Aside from the traffic heading into the city, it was a pleasant enough way to spend my evening off, and we're all glad to have Frick back with us for a week.

And now I know how to get to LaGuardia too, just in case anyone else ever needs picking up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment