03 June 2011

Farragut North, Dupont Circle, Mad Fox

Shortly after my last post, I was able to get in touch with my friend Emily, who just moved to D.C. following some time in West Africa with Peace Corps and some time back home in Illinois near St. Louis. She's doing an internship near Farragut North, which is a stop that I don't believe I've really been around before yesterday.

She was still working when I managed to get there from Vienna via bus, the orange line and the red line. I spent some quality time at Au Bon Pain sipping iced coffee (still can't handle hot coffee since Mexico after getting so miserably ill from the milk) and enjoying Nelson Mandela's autobiography. She eventually joined me and we sat under an umbrella outside, just catching up. This is the first time I've seen her since before she graduated from Mary Washington in 2009! We talked about the similarities and differences between our respective regions of work in Africa, about books, about beer, about work, about grad school... it was so so great to see my good friend again!

We wandered to Kramerbooks and Afterwords, an awesome book store/cafe/bar closer to Dupont Circle, where we browsed books for a good while before getting a beer: Flying Dog Coffee Stout, which was really strong but really good. It was a really beautiful day and we sat on the back porch with our newly purchased books and beers (I got John McPhee's Silk Parachutes, she got something about the French language) and just enjoyed everything.

I was having such a great time catching up with Emily that I lost track of time and was late getting back to Northern Virginia for dinner at Mad Fox Brewpub with Taylor, Alison and Scott, which was also wonderful and a half. That restaurant is mad good and it was more wonderful company.

All of the adventures seem to be catching up to me; I crashed early last night. Subsequently, I woke up early this morning (almost an hour ago). Today's adventure: Fredericksburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment