23 June 2011

I haven't gone too far in the past 24 hours, but have experienced the influence of England, Poland, Hungary, Mexico, Czech Republic and Russia. It's that time of year again-- picking up Johnsonburg's international staff from various train and bus stops in the area. Thankfully no drives to the airports this year, but still some craziness ensued. Last night was my first pickup, my friend Timi from Hungary. Her train came and left, no Timi. Two more trains came and left, still no Timi. Worried, I went back to camp hoping for a phonecall. Instead, I found her sleeping on a couch in the office when I arrived this morning.

I drove to East Hanover to pick up three guys from a hotel there (two from England, one from Poland). The drive was ok, though we've had some crazy weather for the past two days that lead to a lot of fog on the interstate today. I suppose fog is better than the tornadoes we had nearby yesterday though. While I was on that adventure, my friends Wally and Tim were picking up someone from a bus stop nearish to camp... except that ended up being three someones.

Another arrived in the afternoon without notice (someone who had been with us last year so found his own way back to camp), and another was able to contact her mother in Mexico, who was able to send me a facebook message about 25 minutes before I needed to get to the bus stop that is 20 minutes away. Her bus was late so I didn't actually cut it that close, but we now have 9/10 of our international staff members. Staff training starts tomorrow, which will bring friends from all over New Jersey as well as our tenth international staffer. This summer is going to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment