02 June 2011

Rutherford farm market, VA via PA, DE

Yesterday's camp adventure: Rutherford farm market. I knew the town was in Bergen County, New Jersey's northeastern most county, but I failed to pay attention to how far south in the county it is... right by my grandma's house. I was a woman on a mission yesterday though, so I just need to make it a point to get back over there and say hello to her another time soon.

Rutherford is a smallish town with a main street that's apparently on the upswing. It was dotted with small fast-ish chains like Dunkin Donuts and Blimpie, but the farm market was situated in this big patio area behind a bunch of local shops and next to a movie theater that advertised current movies but didn't appear to be open. I was told the area had definitely seen some decline but was improving more recently. I liked it.

The farm market was fine, just very hot. I'm still learning this farm market thing, and came unprepared. Well, I brought my big water bottle, but I didn't bring a tent for shade. Now I know for the future, at least. I was at least in the shade for most of the day, under what I believe was a pin cherry tree (I didn't have my book, otherwise I'd declare it tree of the day). The market manager offered that I could come back next week; this was their first week back open so it was a little slow, but I definitely spoke to more people than I did in Trenton. If the weather cooperates, I'll go back and bring my tree book!

My adventures continued last night as I drove back to camp, picked up my friend Catherine, and continued west into Pennsylvania to try a new route south to bring her home to Wilmington, Delaware. The Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike was further west than I thought, but still a very efficient route. Part of the efficiency may, however, be due to the fact that there seems to be NOTHING off that road. No food options. We didn't eat till pretty late, when we hit I-95 and found a Wawa several miles off the interstate, south of Philly.

Interstates are boring, but we made good time. I got Catherine home by 9:30, took a half hour to eat fresh strawberries with her family, and then continued on to VA, where I am presently plotting more adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment